Thursday, February 23, 2006

Valérie Rouzeau


Cécile told me I would like it; I have learnt to trust her judgment. I've been waiting for this book to arrive for eight weeks now, and it's finally here. A slim volume of poems that is already changing life. Funny how you sometimes know a book is going to have that effect before ever setting your hungry eyes on it. These are gems. The cover alone is a pleasure, with its autumn leaves look, but what's inside is oh so much better.

Je n'en peux plus
Je vais mourir ou faire quelque chose d'incongru
C'est une herbe qui dit ça
À moi

(Et je m'arrache du pré)

And some glosses for the non-francophones:

I can't stand it any more
I am going to die or to do something incongruous
It's a blade of grass that says this
To me

(And I tear myself away from the meadow)

If you like, you can find more here (without glosses though).

No comments: