Sunday, May 28, 2006

Stuffed Tuna and other delights of E-dieting



photos courtesy of Marc

I used to cook all the time. Extensively. You remember, don't you? And if you don't, my substantial collection of well-thumbed greasy and stained cookery bookeries offers vivid proof. Of course, that was before Isabelle and the era of 'It's five o'clock and there are two starving grumpy women in the kitchen, one small one large'. So 'extensively' was reduced to 'fast and easy'. Just like that.

Recently I figured out (with some help, thanks Matthijs!) that one way to return to enjoyable sloooow cooking, and to take my daughter along for the ride, would be to cook earlier in the day. Sort of just after our nap. If we wake up a bit earlier than the usual 5 pm (I know, it's shocking to sleep one's life away so) that is, otherwise it's back to square one with 'It's five o'clock and ...'.

And/Or, I could cook in the evenings. In all those hours I no longer spend at the computer. Quietly, by myself, in a kitchen empty of child, with the moon smiling down on my sauces, and the smell of herbs filling the night. Bringing cooking back to its witchcrafty roots.

On the menu tomorrow: Greek Casserole with a dash of Moon Powder.

No comments: