Thursday, March 06, 2008

mum, is the pink flower thing really necessary???

wise (and unrelated) quote from inspirational book: "The number of things just outside the perimeter of my financial reach remains constant no matter how much my financial condition improves. With each increase in my income a new perimeter forms and I experience the same relative sense of lack. I believe that I would be happy if only my earnings were increased by so much and I could then have or do these few things I can't quite afford, but when my income does increase I find I am still unhappy because from my new financial position I can now see a whole new set of things I don't have."

one of the consequences of un-home-schooling is that someone has to be home. at least some of the time. and since i have taken the great burden upon myself (i.e. although it was our decision, it was a tiny itsy bitsy more mine than Marc's), it means we had to re-consider our finances and we have come up with a new revised figure concerning how much we ACTUALLY need. the conclusion is that if from now on we NEVER do ANYTHING and NEVER go ANYWHERE, we can afford for me to work two days a week instead of the current four.

you can imagine this is not a happy thought. no matter how you turn it. on the other hand, it is also just that, a thought. all it takes is a new definition of 'anything' and 'anywhere' (i can still walk on the beach, cycle to the market, enjoy the occasional shopping spree at the thriftstore, go to the library, the park, the forest, eat and cook all organic food, visit museums, art galleries, browse in book stores, visit my friends, listen to music, dance, laugh, meditate, do yoga, drink lovely tea, eat raspberries, hug my children, sing at the top of my voice, play the guitar, take photographs, write, sew, love my husband, smell fresh flowers, water my plants, pet my cats, live in my house, greet the little spider in the kitchen, plant seeds, read, talk, move, walk, and breathe...).

so what was it i needed money for again?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am inspired. This is the true voice of sanity, loud and clear.
x, sam