Monday, March 30, 2009

dialogue in the guest-house

i woke up this morning still filled with the image of a guest-house from Rumi's poem (see yesterday's post). bleary-eyed, i picked up my early-morning-diary (and yes, that is an actual existing concept), but instead of the usual litany ("didn't sleep well, feel tired, Antoine nursed all night, what shall we do today? blah blah blah"), i found myself writing: "so, who's come to visit today?". the answer appeared on the page, as if by magic: "Apathy, Tiredness, Tension and Depression". as i moved my pen to resume the litany ("see, i knew it, my life sucks, look at that, what a list, what's wrong with me anyway? blah blah blah"), i stopped in my tracks. remembered the poem. and with much effort, wrote: "Welcome!". the following dialogue ensued:

me: Welcome! Come in, can i get you something to eat? to drink?

them: no thanks, we're fine.

me: so, they say you all come bearing gifts, is that true?

them: yep.

me: and what did you bring me?

Apathy: actually, i am here to carry some of your pain for you for a while, so that you can rest a bit.

me: really???????

Apathy: yes. in principle, of course, you should carry the pain yourself, but sometimes it gets to be a bit much, and then i come around for a while and do some of the carrying for you.

me: wow! that's nice... thank you. What about you, Tiredness?

Tiredness: oh, my job is simple, i am here to get you to sit down. it's pretty simple, whenever you feel my presence, just sit down. simple. just. sit. down.

me: oh, but... there is so much i have to do, and so much i want to do, and if i am tired, i can't, and ...

Tiredness: well, that's it, isn't it? so the gift is pretty simple, really: just. sit. down. if you didn't have me, you never would, you know, sit down.

me: you're right, you're absolutely right, that is exactly what i need, i need somebody to walk around with me all day, reminding me to occasionally sit down. i really do need that. thank you!

Tiredness (in a weary voice): you're welcome.

Tension: so, are you going to ask about my gift? no? i'll tell you anyway: i'm here to warn you when you overreach yourself, trying so hard to be something that you are not, because you just keep forgetting that you are fine just the way you are. and so i try to remind you that there is no need to pretend, no need to try so hard.

me: that is so important, now i think of it. thank you!

i turned to Depression, just on time to see him backing out of the door. "i think i'll come back some other time", he mumbled, "this just isn't my day..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Astoundingly clear answers. xxx, Sam

Mirjam said...

Volgende week dinsdag? :o)

Josh said...

Wow, Véronique. Ontroerend en dapper. Dank je wel.
Ik zal aan je denken als ze bij mij op bezoek zijn...

elianne said...

oh boy die morning pages werken echt he.