Monday, March 06, 2006

Reparation Box

I got the idea from some magazine or other. It's part of the larger spring-cleaning picture (which incidentally began on Sunday when I spent more than four hours scrubbing the bathroom (and those of you who know our bathroom are probably wondering how many times I had to scrub the same spot in order to perform this feat, but let me tell you that there are many hidden spots in even the smallest bathroom, spots nobody sees or visits and that therefore steadily accumulate filth for year after year after year (well in our case, only two years, but still, much filth in two years can be accumulated if you try, and our bathroom sure tried)) (I seem to have gotten lost in my own parentheses, how many to close????) and it was exhilarating, scrubbing the bathroom I mean (hope I'm not turning into my mother :))) (friendly smile to take sting away in case said-mother is reading this)).

Where was I? Yes. Here it is.


What it is is a reparation box, a shoe-box in which I put all the things of which I often think 'Oh, and I still have to fix that!' but never do fix them. The idea is then to open the box every second or third night, and to fix one thing, whichever appeals most. There is also an in-built deadline to be determined beforehand, and anything that has not been fixed by that time, off it goes into the bin, or alternatively to the closest Kringloop.

As you can see, at this point my box contains two broken pairs of sunglasses, both of them of the 'Huge Jackie Kennedy Fly' type, one of which actually IS the ORIGINAL Jackie Kennedy Fly pair. Both of them require only a little pin, and some love, to be up and running again. Also in the box is one of the doorknobs of Isabelle's changing table, the 'hot' button of our bathtub faucet, a window of Isabelle's farm (Olivier went at it a bit heavy-heandedly) and a button of Jonas' wintercoat. I'll keep you posted on any progress!

Incidentally, I just realized that the very existence of this box proves without a doubt that I am NOT turning into my mother.

1 comment:

Jt said...

Is this box open to external contributions as well?