Saturday, April 22, 2006

To Draft or not to Draft: A tragedy in five acts (so far...)


It all started out quite nicely: a beautiful Saturday morning, a free day ahead, and a plan in mind. I'd found this tutorial while surfing last night, on how to make a pretty A-line skirt. Since I'd never made a skirt, however, I figured it would be smarter to first make a draft version with some ugly thrift fabric, to see how it works, and then I could do it again, this time using pretty fabric. However, the prototype, just as all the other prototypes I ever made following this line of thought, has one major disadvantage: it looks pretty good (even the zipper, which I dreaded oh so much, caused very little trouble in the end).


It turned out so good, in fact, that now I'm stuck wearing the thing. Which is made of fabric that is a) scratchy wooly (the worst kind in my book) b) unwashed and reeking of thriftstore and c) of a colour that does not match anything I have ever owned, or, for that matter, the colour of my skin/hair.


What is the advantage of making your own if you still have to buy an entire wardrobe (not to mention a bottle of hair-dye) to match it?
Crafting_

No comments: